Total Pageviews

Monday, 31 August 2026

 20th July, 1966 Isle of Wight

 

   The next report came from Fred Smith and his Ufolog, published by the Isle of Wight UFO Society and was followed up in more recent years by John Hanson for his Haunted Skies UFO history (Haunted Skies vol. 3 pp: 65-66 series. 2010).

 

   At around 21:30 hrs on the 20th July, 1966, Angela L. Cotton and her then boyfriend, John, were seated in a car on the Blackgang sing of The Landslip car park. Angela reported that she had sensed “something or someone” was close to them and both looked out of the window and observed a yellow glow over hills that blocked their view of the sea. Curious, the couple wound down the car windows and were almost immediately aware of a vibrating sound which seemed to be coming from the direction of the light. John then decided that they should head back home and they drove along the country lane before turning out onto the main road.

 

   Angela told John Hanson:

 

   “Suddenly, John doubled over the steering wheel, clutching his stomach. He

   gripped his right arm on the inside of the elbow joint and his foot began to

   slip off the accelerator.  His face went white, almost blue.

 

   “I told him to put his foot back and I would steer the car to the main road,

   which I did. After arriving home, John told me he felt as if his stomach

   had been gripped in a vice, and rolled up his right sleeve. On the inside

   of the elbow joint, there was a mark, like a bruise, about the size of a penny,

   showing numerous holes, like the punctures made by a test vaccine. The

   next day, he told me he had similar marks on his stomach. By the weekend,

   these marks had gone.”

 

   On the 21st the couple had driven back to the site and noticed what looked like a furrow on the side of a hill –almost like earth had been scooped out. They set out to the site and noted that it looked as though something had been rubbing against the earth to make this effect; “like a large wheel some six feet in partial radius.” Angela continued:


     “The earth around the edges of this furrow was very dry and the grass around the edges was not charred, but brown, as if heat had been applied. I don’t know what the ‘glow’ was. It certainly wasn’t the beam of St. Catharine’s Lighthouse, or the sunset. I can’t explain what happened.”

 

   It was in 2007 that Hanson tracked Angela down to the United States where she was then living. She told him:

 

      “I have never forgotten the incident you mentioned, as it is one of the few

      moments in my life for which I could ‘kick myself’ for not having the

      courage to walk to the edge of Sugar Lump Hill (the area name back then),

      and look down at the source of the light seen.  If I had seen what was causing

      the light, I would have perhaps known what caused the scuff marks on the

      side of the hill that we viewed….”

 

   Hanson then asked her about the strange marks found on John. Angela told him:

 

      “They looked like weal marks. I have no idea what caused them, although

      I do wonder if some form of hysteria could have induced them to occur,

      rather than through physical assault.”

 

 

Above: Angela Cotton in a photo supplied to John Hanson©A. Cotton

 

   That last line of “rather than through physical assault” is interesting and I asked John and he assured me that he had not suggested any type of “assault” connected with the light. Again, and I know this gets boring but it is a vital matter in any such case –whether a CE1K, CE2K or CE3K; there is no chronology so that we have a time of 21:30 hrs (I am guessing they looked at a car clock or watch) when the light was first seen and that’s it.

 

   The fact that Angela has kept a strong memory of the light is interesting because a light is a light so 40 years on it should be “just one of those things”.  The big puzzle is John; we know that after the light and vibration sound he had decided that they needed to leave and up to that point nothing seems to have happened that inspired any “Oh, I wonder if--?” moment in Angela.  For him to suddenly double up in pain for no seeming reason is odd. It is possible that something he ate earlier might have suddenly caused stomach cramps but that does not tend to produce weal-like markings and then we have the elbow mark which looked as though it had a number of puncture marks in it like old vaccination scars. If the weal-like markings had similar then “something” must have happened.

 

   That Angela noted that they both felt someone or something was watching them added to the other report aspects and her rationalisation that “some form of hysteria” may have caused psychosomatic symptoms is fascinating. Firstly, psychosomatic disorders resulting from stress may include hypertension, respiratory ailments, gastrointestinal disturbances (“upset tummy”), migraine and tension headaches, pelvic pain, impotence, frigidity, dermatitis, and ulcers but not weal-like marks with puncture marks in them. Just what did she feel might have caused John to suffer some form of hysteria –they only saw a light.

 

Remember that this was originally reported back in 1966 so it is not tainted by later UFO accounts that report these aspects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  20 th July, 1966 Isle of Wight      The next report came from Fred Smith and his Ufolog , published by the Isle of Wight UFO Society and ...